Sensors & Transducers Journal
(ISSN: 2306-8515, e-ISSN 1726-5479)
Vol. 18, Special Issue, January 2013, pp. 1-4
10 Top Reasons to Include SENSORDEVICES Conference in
your Calendar of Events
Sergey Y. Yurish
IFSA President, Ramon Otero, 42C, 1-5, Castelldefels, Barcelona, 08860, Spain
Tel.: + 34 93 6366866, SYurish@sensorsportal.com
Received: 15 November 2012 /Accepted: 14 December 2012 /Published: 22 January 2013
In the last few years many changes have taken place in the area of sensors and transducers; a large World expansion of industrial activities has been seen with increasing demands for technologist and designers in fast growing application areas like communications, automotive, multimedia and consumer products, with companies fighting to keep and increase their world share. During my 27 years research career I have visited more than 70 conferences, workshops and symposiums in more than 20 countries. There are some very popular and prestigious sensors related conferences in the world. Launched four years ago the international, annual SENSORDEVICES conference organized by the International Academy, Research and Industry Association (IARIA) in the frame of NetWare conference umbrella [1-3], has taken a prominent place among them and quickly earned a well-deserved popularity to be now well established as one of the major sensors events. The conference reflects dynamic development of the sensor industry from technological and application points of view to be attractive for researchers, developers, vendors and users. In this article, I would like to highlight some excellent features of the SENSORDEVICES and SENSORCOMM conferences.
1) Interdisciplinarity. In addition to the SENSORDEVICES conference some other sensors and communications related conferences take place under the same umbrella in the same place and time: first of all it is International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications (SENSORCOMM), International Conference on Advances in Circuits, Electronics and Micro-electronics (CENICS), International Conference on Quantum, Nano and Micro Technologies (ICQNM) and International Workshop on Sensor Networks for Supply Chain Management (WSNSCM). One registration fee lets to visit all of them and get all conferences proceedings.
2) Work in Progress and Research Ideas Tracks. This is a unique feature of all IARIA's conferences. Work in Progress submissions are targeting proposed doctoral thesis, where no final results and final data are presented, but new ideas are sketched. Any other, non-doctoral proposal, yet potential new idea, is also welcome. Submissions in this category are evaluated and accepted following the same procedures used for the regular papers, with the distinction that the reported results might not be final, up-front impressive, or showing advancing the state-of-the-art. However, a submission must be a witness of potential novel and promising results. Research Ideas track is another unique feature of IARIA's conferences. This category is dedicated to new ideas in their early stage. Contributions might refer to PhD dissertation, testing new approaches, provocative and innovative ideas, out-of-the-box, and out-of-the-book thinking, etc. The contributions for Ideas will be presented in special sessions, where more debate is intended. Both tracks are very suitable for early stage PhD students as well as for short (up to two years) different joint European research projects for results dissemination. So, new track titled 'Sensors and Transducers for Non-Destructive Testing' will be started in 2013 in order to be used in conjunction with appropriate projects' meetings.
3) Oral or Poster Presentation ? Both ! Normally, all presentations for IARIA's conferences are scheduled as oral presentations. In addition, if authors want, they can present also a poster for the same paper. It is an excellent opportunity to get much more feedback in comparison with other conferences, where presentation is limited only by oral or poster form, which is determined not by authors but an organizing committee only.
4) Three Publications during One Year: Paper, Article and Book Chapter. Is it really possible ? Yes, it is. Due to quick post conference publications in IARIA journals and Sensors & Transducers journal (ISSN 1726-5479) , selected and extended conferences papers can be published as journal articles. In addition, if a paper or article contains state-of-the-art review, it can be recommended for publication as a book chapter (after appropriate extension) in Advances in Sensors: Reviews book Series, published by IFSA Publishing . It is one more great opportunity for researchers who participate in short-term research projects.
5) Attendees from Academia and Industry. The close interaction of the different communities, i.e. academia, industry and vendors is essential advantage of IARIA's conferences. It is a reason, why every presentation on SENSORDEVICES conference generates in twice more questions and debates in comparison with other sensors related conferences. Another reason is a very careful and high quality cross review process. So, there were 703 submitted papers for all NetWare conferences in 2012, 232 from which were accepted after review.
6) Tutorials, Keynote Presentations and Panel Discussions. The tutorial programme is an important element in SENSORDEVICES event bringing as it does the key speakers in those topic areas that are of great current interest. Every NetWare conferences umbrella includes some tutorials, keynote presentations and panel discussions given and moderated by world, internationally renowned experts in the field: leading researchers and big companies industrial representatives. All this, including tutorials are free of charge for conferences participants.
7) Excellent Location and Time. All IARIA's conferences are organized in excellent places in the World: in "must see" big cities as Rome, Barcelona, Venice, Lisbon, Porto; beautiful islands such as Reunion in Indian Ocean or St. Maarten in Caribbean sea; or alpine ski resort Chamonix / Mont Blanc, (France). It was a great pleasure for me to swim in Caribbean sea in January 2011 at +28 0C, when the temperature in Paris was -6 0C ! Please do not miss the coming 4th International Conference on Sensor Device Technologies and Applications (SENSORDEVICES' 2013) conference that will take place in Barcelona (Spain) at 25-31 August 2013 . Barcelona - a charming, old, tourists attractive Mediterranean city with long cultural traditions, surrounded by a vacation area with clear sandy beaches, warm sea water and numerous summer resorts - is the ideal backdrop for successful conference. Bringing SENSORDEVICES conference to Barcelona (Spain) is also reflecting another trend, namely the fact that high tech is finally finding its way into an area formerly associated with agriculture and tourism. Domestic and international companies are establishing their presence in and around Barcelona, many of them in high technological related fields. This befits Barcelona to stage major conferences in sensors related areas. Starting on Sunday with some pre-conference tutorials and finishing on Friday by a conference tour, it gives to conference attendees an excellent opportunity to use a cheapest weekend tariff for air flights tickets.
8) Social Program and Conference Tour. It is not a secret that a lot for fruitful collaborations started during conferences' receptions and gala dinners. And I do not understand conference organizers, who ignore this important conference tradition, or make it very formal: 19:00 start, 21:00 finish. Fortunately, IARIA's conference's gala dinner is quite differ, and as usually includes an interesting show program. A visit to Barcelona cannot be completed without an evening social event, and NetWare' 2013 will be no exception. A lot of attendees have a long trip to visit a conference location. Some of them must cross oceans by air. So, the NetWare conference umbrella in 2012 has been visited by 261 attendees from 59 counties. It is naturally, to propose them a conference sightseeing tour, because of they have not any guarantee to visit these places again. But, there are well know sensors related conferences with 'zero' activity for such service. In contradict to them, IARIA's conferences organizers beside an interesting technical programme organize attractive event - a special conference sightseeing tour during the last day to offer the opportunity for informal talks in a relaxed atmosphere. Please see appropriate conferences videos (NetWare 2010, 2011, 2012 and GlobeNet' 2011) online at IFSA Internet-based Television Network .
9) Awards and IARIA Fellowship. It is not necessary to write any more how different paper awards and prestigious fellowships are important for every researcher's career development. The best papers are selected during each of conference sessions at IARIA's conferences. As usually, the same papers are selected later by Editorial Board for publication as articles in Sensors & Transducers journal by independent way. It means very good concordance between two independent selection processes. The IARIA fellowship is given in recognition for: • Outstanding scientific research results endorsed by international peers; • Exceptional scientific contribution to the IARIA events; • Continuous leadership roles in IARIA conferences. The IARIA fellowship program is a reward for exceptional volunteers and implies a continuous and sustainable support. The IARIA Board expects that IARIA Fellows continue to be examples of scientific honesty towards the international community. It is also assumed that the IARIA Fellows manifest an increased level of voluntarism for IARIA events, the only way IARIA Fellowship has a sense and recognition.
10) Friendly and Professional Staff. Coming to any of IARIA's conference first of all you will meet the same, very professional and friendly staff. At the first time I have met a few of Board Members on the 3rd International Conference on Advances in Circuits, Electronics and Micro-electronics (CENICS) in 2009 on Malta. They have asked me what I think if to organize a sensors related conference devoted to sensor devices (hardware) aspects ? I immediately agreed with this great idea, and the 1st International Conference on Sensor Device Technologies and Applications (SENSORDEVICES' 2010) has taken place in Venice (Italy) in 2010. Finally, big thank you to all who have made the conference programme a success. This is a team effort with people who have willingly given their time and energy: the Board, the Organizing Committee, the Chairs, the Technical Program Committee members who reviewed numerous papers, and last but by no means least, the Conference Secretariat and Logistics, who have had to deal with many important duties during these events.
All described above is a big reason, why I mark (þ) the coming SENSORDEVICES' 2013 and SENSORCOMM' 2013 conferences as the 'must be visited' events No.1. And I truly believe that you will also enjoy this event ! Please do not miss the deadline for papers: 30 March 2013. See you in Barcelona !
. International Academy, Research and Industry Association (IARIA) web site: http://www.iaria.org/
.The 4th International Conference on Sensor Device Technologies and Applications (SENSORDEVICES' 2013), 25-31 August 2013: http://www.iaria.org/conferences.html
. The 7th International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications (SENSORCOMM' 2013), 25-31 August 2013: http://www.iaria.org/conferences.html
. Sensors & Transducers journal (ISSN 1726-5479), www.sensorsportal.com/HTML/DIGEST/Submission.htm
. Modern Sensors, Transducers and Sensor Networks (Book Series: Advances in Sensors: Reviews), Vol. 1, ed, by Yurish S. Y., IFSA Publishing, 2012): www.sensorsportal.com/HTML/IFSA_Publishing.htm
. IFSA Internet-based Television Network (IFSA web site): http://www.sensorsportal.com/VIDEO/index.htm
Click <here> or title of paper to download the full pages article (1.4 MB)
Download <here> the Library Journal Recommendation Form
Read more about Sensors Related Events in 2013/2014
1999 - 2018 Copyright ©, International Frequency Sensor Association (IFSA). All Rights Reserved.
Home - News - Links - Archives - Tools - Voltage-to-Frequency Converters - Standardization - Patents - Marketplace - Projects - Wish List - e-Shop - Sensor Jobs - Membership - Videos - Publishing - Site Map - Subscribe - Search
Members Area -Sensors Portal -Training Courses - S&T Digest - For advertisers - Bookstore - Forums - Polls - Submit Press Release - Submit White Paper - Testimonies - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn